Omniscient Aum

A place to speak about life and anything relevant to it. =)

Moderators: Alice, xplosiw

Alice

Omniscient Aum

Postby Alice » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Glad I cc'd and pasted this into my files previously, because I find I am now unable to access the linked page.

Snip:

"Repeated with correct intonation aum is said to echo to the core of our being thereby cleansing cells, balancing chakras, calming the mind and awakening the spirit."

http://www.ayurvedaelements.com/article ... entaum.php
The Omniscient Aum

Written by
Caroline Robertson ND • ayholidays@gmail.comayurvedaelements@gmail.com

Praised as the password to enlightenment, aum is a sacred syllable and symbol encapsulating secrets of the universe that enhance all areas of life. If you had to choose one archetypical image or word associated with Eastern philosophy what would it be? A word that encompasses everything. You'll find it on Yoga room walls, in scriptures, on incense packets and even as a mystical tattoo. Not just confined to Eastern religions, you'll also hear it chanted during Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist and Christian ceremonies. Aum (and its synonyms Amen, Ameen, Omkar and Alm) is the omniscient pulse that beats at the heart of every molecule in the universe. Adopted as the monosyllabic answer for everything past, present and future, aum is the decoder to life's mysterious message. Aum is also the primordial hum from which all sounds and forms arise and return to as Swami Sivananda explained "the whole world has come from aum, rests in aum and dissolves in aum."

So what's the big deal about aum? Though many chant it and are familiar with its script, few understand the deeper significance of this sanctified symbol. The linguistics and phonetics of aum offer some clues to its inherent power. Statements regarding aum as the trigger for material manifestation and dissolution can be related to the letters "a" and "m". "A" has first pride of place in all alphabets and "m" is the last letter in the oldest language- Sanskrit. Also denoting something from start to end are the terms from alpha to omega and from A to Z. It's been noted that the first sound uttered as babies emerge from the womb is often "Ahhh." Hence the letters "a" and "m" are symbolic of the continuous cycle of birth, life and death, known as samsara in Sanskrit.

To explain earth's origin, science's big bang theory is paralleled by the Vedas' `big aum theory'. Vedic scriptures say that when aum was first chanted it entered the causal ocean creating ripples of sound vibration that swelled into a cosmic soup. The resulting waves created the five successive elements of ether, air, fire, water and earth. As to how subtle sound vibrations can cause dense matter to form, quantum physics offers some insights. According to this science the universe consists of practically nothing, with each molecule 99.9 percent empty except for miniscule particles vibrating at high frequencies within them. This proves that though everything appears to be dense matter in reality it is essentially space.

Our bodies are 99.9 percent space or ether with a dynamic dance of electrons whirling around in a dervish pas-de-deux creating the illusion of solid matter. It is said that these resonating molecules
create a vibrating hum.

To guess what this musical matrix might sound like imagine placing a stethoscope to a cellular molecule. As the electron whizzes past like a racing car- it plays the soundtrack of the self. Vedantists hypothesise that this is the distinctive drone of aum. Like a universal electrical transformer this hum is the music of spiritual energy animating and orchestrating gross matter on a universal scale. It is the self-sustaining continuum that composes the substrate of the universe also known as the unified field. Aum is synonymous with life as it generates the universal bio-rhythms that harmonise the cycles of creation, preservation and destruction.

Phonetically, aum is a very natural and effortless sound to form. Inhale deeply, then exhaling notice the sound "A" rising easily from the chest. Meeting the roof of the mouth it becomes "au," reverberating through the cranium. As a finale the mouth closes with the buzzing sound of "mmm." Repeated with correct intonation aum is said to echo to the core of our being thereby cleansing cells, balancing chakras, calming the mind and awakening the spirit. Listening to aum is also very soothing and healing. The sound of aum is inherent in all sounds but is clearly recognisable in the tolling of church bells, donging of temple gongs and blowing of a conch shell.

Universal Language
Transcending divisions of race or creed, aum is a universal term known as "Mahavakya" or the great sound of divinity. Swami Sivananda said "aum is the property and spiritual heritage of all people throughout the world." An anecdote illustrating the global acceptance of aum occurred in Moscow in 1989 when it was the first religious chant permitted at a conference attended by the Russian Head of State after seven years of the communist suppression of spirituality. Aum's non-sectarian connotations make it an ideal unifying force for all religions. Swami Vivekananda's vision to build a temple where only aum was worshipped rather than denominational deities was inspired by his desire to promote interfaith harmony. Though the infamous aum shrinkyo of Japan acted under the banner of aum to commit destructive acts, it would take more than a crazy cult to tarnish its 5,000 years of documented efficacy. Aum is most prominently noted in the Vedic scriptures but other versions of it include the Christen "Amen," Islamic "Ameen" and "Alm," the Buddhist "Om," the Sikh "Omkara" and the Egyptian/Judaic "Amen." The widespread references to aum not only point to the common origins of religion but suggests that all scripts grew from similar roots. Variations of the aum script are evident worldwide. The oldest known are carved on ancient Ujjain coins, engraved on the Sohugara copper plate, painted in India's prehistoric cave walls and inscripted on artefacts from Khajuharo. Traces of aum can be seen in much of the iconography, sculpture, paintings and other art forms of India, Burma, Tibet and Nepal.

Tantric scholars have related aum to prayer as when the symbol is turned on its side, with a little imagination, it depicts a person in the prayer pose.

Another interpretation says the "3" represents the three trilogies of aum explained later, the wave symbolises an energy wave and the dot a particle of matter. Various references to the symbol are strewn throughout ancient vedic texts, most notably in the Aitreya Brahmana, Kanshitaki Brahmana and the Ashwalayam Shrout Sutra. An entire treatise glorifying aum called the "Mandukya Upanishad" details its esoteric significance. Crowned as the cream of Vedic wisdom, aum is mentioned in the Kathopanishad as "the goal of all the Vedas and the result of all penances." Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita even says "I am the aumkar in the Vedas." Considering this, the scripture Panini-ashtadyayi advises students to chant aum twice for every mantra and the ancient lawgiver Manu warns that one must recite aum at the start and finish of every lecture or else all knowledge will be lost. Hence aum is routinely chanted as a potentising prefix to Upanishads, shlokas and mantras. Common examples of this include "aum shanti," "om mani padme hum," "aum namah shivaya" and "aum namo narayana."

Aum is the common thread woven through the complex tapestry of the Hindu pantheon. As an all-inclusive term it can be used to address anything or anyone but is commonly linked with Brahma, Shakti, Shiva, Uma, Vishnu, Rama, Surya and Narayana. Ganesh is also known as "om-kaara-svaroopa" or "the aum-figured one," as he is sometimes depicted within an artistic aum swirl. Aum has even emerged in modern times as the highly revered symbol of East Africa's Ivory Coast and in Bali, Indonesia where it represents strength. The English terms omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence and omen are examples of how aum has filtered into everyday western life.

Secret Symbolism
The semantics of aum are all-encompassing. As South Indian tantric scholar Dr Raghavan insisted, "you can't limit the definition of aum, it is beyond the confines of language. Everything about aum is correct whether sacred or profane because aum is unlimited." To heighten one's appreciation of aum and open deeper dimensions of perception, Patanjali in his Yoga Sutras states "aum must be repeated during meditation only whilst understanding its meaning." Remaining mindful of aum's symbology during practice magnifies the forces it activates. The Vedas explain that sound is an expression of form therefore when we say a word all its related characteristics spring to mind. The traits of aum portray a picture of eternal truths often grouped as trilogies linked to each letter. As Parmahamsa Yogananda wrote "each time one utters a word he puts into operation the three qualities of aum." Vedic scriptures also say that whatever we meditate on we will unite with. Therefore when we comprehend the depth of aum we connect with our essential origins, life purpose and destination. Aum can also link us with both the formless divinity (nirguna brahma) as well as the embodied divinity (saguna brahma), transcending religious differences.

The three inherent letters (triyakshari) of aum are visas allowing passage through the main checkpoints of our consciousness towards enlightenment. This transcendental tour occurs simultaneously on a physical and metaphysical platform. Physically when we chant aum it travels from the navel bouncing off the sounding board of the hard palate to dissolve after the lip tingling `m.' Energetically, aum originates at the subtle body's lower chakras, uncoiling like the kundalini snake to peak at the crown chakra. When repeated with clear intonation aum aligns us at all three levels- physically, mentally and spiritually.

The `A' awakens consciousness
The `U' uplifts awareness
The `M' merges one with the supreme reality.

The silent vibration remaining called sabda brahma is when true transcendence is said to take place, the silent and still gap between our thoughts. This last lingering tone is like an etheric electrical transformer empowering the spirit to animate matter.

Aum Accolades
Aum meditation is useful for both personal and planetary upliftment. It facilitates an internalising process that quietens the senses (pratyahara), improves focus (dharana) and connects the consciousness with higher truths (dhyana). This ultimately leads to enlightenment or samadhi, a state of unconditional love and bliss. Sri Sankaracharya likened aum to sulphur which binds restless mercury into a stable unit, just as aum meditation brings the restless mind to a single focus. The honed mind is like a laser beam, burning up negative karma and destructive tendencies. Hindus and Buddhists teach that this is the path to enlightenment. As Krishna states in the Bhagavad-Gita, "one who has perfected yoga and chants aum thinking of god at the time of death will attain my spiritual abode." Ramdas of Anandashram assures that one who chants aum 60,000,000 times will attain spiritual salvation. The word mantra means to cleanse or free the mind so chanting aum gives one clarity and calm in challenging situations.

Experiments conducted by Trascendental Meditators en masse proved this when one percent of the population chanted aum and crime rates decreased. Perhaps it is the consistent chanting in temples, mosques and churches that creates such a peaceful environment within these sanctums. On a recent visit to Mata Amritanandamayi's modern hospital in India every PA message was prefaced by a soothing "Aum Namah Shivaya," softening the generally sterile and morose mood of a hospital.

More immediate benefits of aum meditation include an improved memory, concentration, voice, lustrous face, regulated breathing and a heightened mood. People I spoke to mentioned a significant increase in energy, even after chanting aum only three times. Swami Sivananda supports this, claiming "when chanted with faith and rhythm, aum fills one with a spiritual strength, new vigour and energy."

Aum Attunement
In the words of the Sufi Saadi "however much you study you cannot know without action." So it is that one can only appreciate aum's potency through practical experience. There are many ways to meditate using aum. Options include visualising it, listening to it, chanting it, wearing it and depicting it through art. A traditional Hindu rite of passage uses aum to initiate children into learning. Each baby is ushered into the world by painting an aum symbol on its tongue with a gold implement to ensure a life of auspicious communication and education. Chanting is widely recommended as the easiest way to employ aum to still the mind.

Aum expert Dr Nagendra outlines three phases when chanting aum:

1) The descending phase where one feels aum waves engulfing the body
2) The ascending phase where one feels uplifted, lighter and expansive
3) The silent interval when a deep serenity may be felt

There are also four levels of chanting styles that often progress naturally over time:

1) Vaikari: Aum is repeated audibly to reinforce the vibration mentally
2) Madhyama: Aum is recited in the mind while mouthing it silently
3) Pashyanti: Aum is chanted silently without moving the mouth
4) Para: Aum is crystalised in the cellular memory and naturally vibrates in the body without conscious effort. At this stage it is even repeated during sleep.

When chanting aum it should flow as one continuous sound rather than three separate letters. On exhaling the `a' rises from the navel becoming `au' as it enters the throat and concludes in an effortless aum. All three phases should be roughly equal in duration. Initially on practicing aum it is conducive to find a quiet place where you won't be disturbed. Sitting straight, still and comfortably be aware of your breathing. Closing the eyes relax all tension from the top of the head to the tips of the toes. Inhale slowly and deeply then on the exhalation allow the sound aum to flow from the abdomen to the cranium. As you inhale visualise and sense all positive energies entering your being. The vibration initially invigorates every cell then quietens the body and mind.

A more detailed six-step sequence devised by Dr Nagendra is as follows:

1) Kapala Bhati: Deep breaths for one minute
2) Nadi Shodhana: Alternate nostril breathing for five rounds
3) Brahmari: Bee's breath for five rounds
4) Trataka: Unfocused gaze on the aum symbol three times with eyes tearing
5) Chanting aum for 15 minutes
6) Silence for five minutes

Another way of utilising aum is through the following chakra balancing exercise. Standing, sitting or lying in a relaxed state place your hand over the region whilst chanting the corresponding mantra.

1) Lam: pubic bone, coccyx (mooladhara chakra)
2) Vam: lower abdomen, sacrum (swadhisthana chakra)
3) Ram: solar plexus (manipura chakra)
4) Yam: heart area (anahata chakra)
5) Hum: throat (vishuddhi chakra)
6) Sham: eyebrow centre (ajna chakra)
7) Aum: crown fontanelle (sahasrara chakra)

Irrespective of individual faith, aum is an all-person, all-purpose mantra. It can be used by itself or as a powerful adjunct to other spiritual practices. Aspirants from all faiths recommend using aum for spiritual progress as Sri Sankarachaya said "one who has embraced the path of self-realisation should meditate incessantly on aum."

Rokazulu

Re: Omniscient Aum

Postby Rokazulu » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:58 pm

From this thread:

Alice wrote:
I chant Aum most days, and do feel the benefits. I am going to post something on Aum in the forum "Anything Else."

Ah thank you, I love chanting of all kinds. I'll probably do more of it. The benefits of humming are probably similar to chanting as it is the same with singing.

As I spoke with TReb-Bor-yit-NE, he revealed to me of a connection with a life in 1600's Italy where people were persecuted as witches for learning about psychic phenomena. Apparently, they killed some of this entity's family and friends and I can connect with this incident to remove blockages.

As I begin to hum and chant more, I will also open myself to this encounter with Love to heal the distortions within myself. As well, as doing my best to express myself fully.

(I will post the podcast of the conversation I had, although no transcript for awhile)
Last edited by Rokazulu on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlwaysBeNice
-

Postby AlwaysBeNice » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:19 pm

I find that the coolest effect gets created when you sing it with other people (preferably somewhat loudly) and you match each other's voices in such a way that the sound matches into one and you can really hear and feel that.
Best evidence for UFOs: http://www.bestUFOevidence.com
Evidence for the soul http://www.evidenceforthesoul.com
The experiences that verified Bashar for me: bashar-forum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7

Alice

Postby Alice » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Rokazulu wrote:
Ah thank you, I love chanting of all kinds. I'll probably do more of it. The benefits of humming are probably similar to chanting as it is the same with singing.

As I spoke with TReb-Bor-yit-NE, he revealed to me of a connection with a life in 1600's Italy where people were persecuted as witches for learning about psychic phenomena. Apparently, they killed some of this entity's family and friends and I can connect with this incident to remove blockages.

As I begin to hum and chant more, I will also open myself to this encounter with Love to heal the distortions within myself. As well, as doing my best to express myself fully.

(I will post the podcast of the conversation I had, although no transcript for awhile)

Yes, as I understand, it is common for we who have been into such things as metaphysics and psychic phenomena, to have experienced persecution
in the past, and this can carry over as reluctance to speak out or express ourselves fully. I feel this is my issue as well.

Thanks for sharing those chanting vids, enjoyed. Look forward to your podcast/transcript.

Alice

Postby Alice » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:18 pm

AlwaysBeNice wrote:I find that the coolest effect gets created when you sing it with other people (preferably somewhat loudly) and you match each other's voices in such a way that the sound matches into one and you can really hear and feel that.

That does sound cool! But for everyday purposes, when other people aren't always around to join you, practicing solo is still very beneficial.

This is an article I found some years ago in an online magazine wherein my writings also appeared.
Chanting for two hours as he does when he gets up-I'm sure that would kickstart the day in a good way!

Background info on the reference to "Kris":
https://www.facebook.com/ChannelingKris/

The Enchantment of Chanting

by John Hawkins

People in the western world have a strong, clear, but only partial perception of what chanting is all about.

Religions in the west —Abrahamical religions— are very rudimentary and even primitive, being only a couple of thousand years old at best, compared to the ancient teachings available in India, Tibet, and several other places on the planet, mostly in the east.

In these rare and special areas of the planet, long lineages of sages have painstakingly passed on ‘tried and true’ teachings about consciousness to select members of every new generation, for many thousands of years, mostly by word of mouth!

This represents a priceless resource for Planet Earth and her people that far surpasses all the oil in the Middle East, all the gold in (wherever there’s lot of gold), and all the tea in China.

I am re-reading the Bhagavad Gita after twenty years with a new understanding that Krishna is the spark of All That Is that is situated in my actual physical heart. I have a personal relationship with this spark of divinity in my heart. Paired in my heart with Krishna is my own source self or Soul, celebrating along with Krishna this unique and eternal relationship.

The relationship of these twin divinities within us is like two birds in a tree. One is flitting about enjoying the sweet and bitter fruits (our Soul) and the other is simply observing the first with infinite, unfathomable qualities including interest and compassion (All That Is).

Chanting is one of the spectacular fruits of these resources that demonstrates the power and transcendence of these teachings. It turns out that based on the exhaustive and scientific methods and understanding accumulated in the Vedas, chanting a mantra can actually change your state of consciousness.

Isn’t this what is being offered, albeit mostly unsuccessfully, as the benefit, value and the veritable fruits, albeit mostly reserved for the fortunate few, of our own religions? This divinely rooted ability to change our state of consciousness from one that —let us say— limits, or vexes us, to one that soothes and relieves us by releasing our restrictions, meanwhile expanding our potential exponentially.

Isn’t this what prayer, communion and confession are all about, attaining a new state of consciousness? The problem in the west, of course, is that we have been attempting to deny consciousness as a concept with any reality or meaning for several hundred years or more, with varying but not inconsiderable degrees of success, especially in the modern era.

Accepting the idea that each one of us can learn to change our consciousness is tricky for a society that, as a matter of course, hardly deigns to acknowledge consciousness as a legitimate topic of discussion, let alone a valuable or helpful constituent of everyday reality.

Kris Offers Chanting

[This is excerpted from my homework for Kris’ online workshop entitled, “Search for Self” where he expanded on his presentation of chanting and related information.]

With the chanting that Kris has given us I feel that I not only have an enduring connection with my own Source Self, but I have a budding relationship with the Param Atma, the spark of All That Is in my heart —the same Param Atma in everybody’s heart, except that I have a unique relationship with this Glorious Being, [as does everybody.]

Chanting, properly done, becomes a basically foolproof method for focusing our concentration on the transcendental layer of our being. And of course we all know what happens when we concentrate on something!

For me the highlight was that it is our ability to hear, and the mental discipline that is required to hear, that is the basis of any spiritual learning. From this I come up with the idea that a disciplined mind enables us to hear transcendental sounds, and this is the basis of spiritual learning. And I have a clue about what constitutes a disciplined mind.

Kris mentioned in this session that true listening may often require us to set aside the instant opinions that the mind generates. The mind, like the irrepressible legs of a 2-year-old learning to walk, knows that it is supposed be responsive. It knows its job is to come up with an assessment of any given stimulus, and it does so reflexively, even when completely uninformed.

Thus the power of the chanting becomes even better understood because it is all about disciplining the mind and truly listening.

And finally, the highlight from the last session would be the idea that a set routine, such as chanting at the same time every morning, is very beneficial. It is very grounding for me spiritually and has health benefits also.

But the main benefit is in setting a consistent tone for every day. This lays the groundwork for events later in the day where my energy may begin to create what Kris calls a self-effulgent effect.

Since I am a creature of habit anyway, and have always loved routines, this information is very comforting to me. The only thing is the content of the routines. This is where new priorities are emerging!

My Personal Experience with Chanting

[Chanting produced an immediate and noticeable effect on my everyday life. This is excerpted from a blog about my emerging understanding of new perspectives being afforded to me, seemingly by doing this chanting.]

Kris tells a wonderfully evocative story about service. Think about your hand. It is an almost autonomous aspect of your physical body, very expressive and functional. But how can the hand eat or drink? It cannot nourish itself in that way because it lacks the parts required for these functions.

However the hand is admirably suited to bringing food and drink to the mouth of its owner. In doing so it performs a service and also nourishes itself.

When we give loving, personalized devotion to the Divine in our heart we are nourishing our Whole Selves and the payoff is grace, the personalized support and nourishment we experience in every part of our lives as a reflection of that.

And getting into a transcendent state of consciousness —entering a state of grace— does change our experience of things here in the mundane world.

‘Mundane’ may not be the best word for our ordinary, everyday state of consciousness because I don’t mean to devalue it in any way. Let’s call it the Focus State —as in experiences as a focal personality. That said, there is no question that the transcendent state of consciousness represents an expansion of our mundane experience. It’s just a fact. Especially when it is discovered that the transcendent state encompasses all of the mundane states of consciousness because it is the very source of them.

Direction in Consciousness

This implies to me that there is at least an implicit “direction” within consciousness. When we expand our understanding to the transcendent state and perceive, even for a few moments, how our mundane, everyday states of consciousness are supported by, and depend upon this transcendent state, there’s no turning back from this perspective for any of us. It’s like the first time the world saw a picture of… the world from the moon. Sometimes a new perspective is a game changer.

Experiencing transcendence means a literal, qualitative difference in our state of consciousness even if only a seed has been planted to blossom later. Something essential and intrinsic changes when we expand our conscious perception to that layer of our being.

So how does our everyday experience of things change as a consequence of our tasting the nectar of this transcendent state of consciousness? Put in other words, how does somebody who knows they are eternal, immortal consciousness, full of wisdom and bliss, how does such a person’s everyday point of view change?

The first thing is that there’s been a curious ‘leveling of the playing field’ in my everyday life. The idea is that there has been a balancing and harmonization of what has always been a basic willingness to more or less cheerfully participate in whatever happens to be going on in my life.

For instance, for me there’s always been a big difference between bouncing out of bed early on those wonderful days when I can do anything I want, and me crawling out of bed late after stealing a few more minutes, on the days when I have to go to work.

Now that I am chanting every morning, I get up at 6 whether I’m going to work or have the day off. This means that for the first two hours of my day, from 6 to 8, I do the same exact thing every day. So the change I’m noticing is how I get up when the alarm goes off at 5:45!

At Some Level, There’s No Difference!

There is virtually no difference in my mood upon arising now, whether I have to work that day or not. In a metaphorical way you could say that I have set up a transcendent platform in my day where for two hours every day is the same. During this period, it doesn’t really matter much what’s going to be happening for the rest of the day. In the same way inhabiting, even in a small way, the transcendent platform of consciousness we find a place within ourselves that is not swayed by the senses.

Let’s be clear, I’m not saying that I don’t create bad things in my life anymore. I’m saying that this doesn’t mess me up the way it used to.

Revisiting my newfound equanimity about whether or not I am at work or doing what I want. I don’t want you to think that work has ever been such a burden. And for that matter, I have even had issues lately with what I get up to at home alone, so this whole thing is not simple or cut and dried.

Transcendence: A New Platform for Expression, Engagement, Exploration

The point for me is that in either environment there is a significant portion of me that is fairly unimpeded in its pursuit of its interests, no matter which set of sense data is being processed by my mundane consciousness at that particular time.

By establishing this new platform for my identity and consciousness of myself, I have created, or better, become aware of, a playing field quite independent of the events in time and space that surround me. And the remarkable thing is that this transcendent state of consciousness is perfectly comfortable and natural for me.

Even though it is beyond, and untouched by any sense experience we have ever had, this realm of consciousness is one where we find ourselves perfectly at home, once we adjust our focus and perception to recognize it.

When I say that the transcendent perspective ‘levels the playing field’ of mundane experience, I don’t mean that it takes anything away from this layer of experience. [except perhaps our potential to overwhelm ourselves, but that’s good thing!]

The joys and sorrows are still here in full force, but they are informed by a perspective that is not moved by them. Or better is not overwhelmed by them. [we can choose to be moved, even transcendentally]

If all you have is the world of sense experience, then what happens in your sense world is ‘do or die’ so to speak. But when we become aware of a platform of our awareness and perception that is independent of sense data, untouched by time, and not bounded by space, everyday experiences are actually enriched even though they are bound to be leveled to a degree.

Never ‘Either’ ‘Or’ – Always ‘And’

As an eternal immortal consciousness full of wisdom and bliss, all sense experiences are something I have chosen and created for the value and meaning inherent in them.

Thus sense experiences graduate from being almost random streams of meaningless events impacting us day by day, and hour by hour, they graduate to being deliberately and intentionally chosen experiences for their inherent potential for value fulfillment. Quite a different perspective.

And it turns out that the transcendent state is not some kind of soft, billowy void or emptiness. No such thing. As we begin to inhabit the transcendent state we start to notice things, to make friends and initiate projects in this realm of our being. It can get quite busy and there is no end of potential and opportunities.

Needless to say these transcendent encounters, experiments and observations can be conducted in virtually any sense environment since they are operating from a realm that is independent of the sense environment.

Easier to Direct Attention in the Mundane World

And here’s another thing. Because I have a foothold in this transcendent state of consciousness I am finding it easier to steer my attitude and intention in the mundane world. This I put down to not being buffeted by the sense experiences as much, however swirling and animated they might be, and thus being able to negotiate any necessary or desired maneuvers of attitude and attention unimpeded.

I know this sounds a tiny bit paradoxical but it boils down to not caring —I know that sounds awful. What I mean is lack of judgmental concern, compassionate caring is good. It’s about understanding that ultimately, no matter what happens in any sense environment, this other transcendent place that we all live, knowingly or unknowingly, is not touched by any of that. [This gives us a place to be that is not—ever— overthrown, by any sense input.]

And, on another note, I have noticed that some of the big things and mostly some of the little things that I want to get done, just seem to get done. Almost like they’re doing themselves!

For instance, I had a lovely experience with my Vision Board a couple of weeks ago. I was showing my new cleaning boy (actually a man in his early forties) around my apartment so he would know what he was getting into when he agreed to clean it. As we passed my Vision Board, hanging in the hall outside of the bathroom, I noticed the picture of a big bag of money, with a big dollar sign on it. This struck me because the reason I was hiring this cleaning boy is that I had recently inherited a tidy sum, quite unexpectedly, and could suddenly afford all the things that I had been putting off.

In other words the big bag of money had appeared in my life! I quickly glanced at the other things on the board, aware that I had not really looked at it for years. Examining the board I noticed at least five things that had come true, or were about to come true. Like goal number 3, about cleaning and de-cluttering my apartment – the very reason I was showing the cleaning boy around! Spooky!

Innate Gracefulness — We Are Emerging Avatars of Our Whole Selves

Not to beat our drum here or anything, but the word itself, and even some of the ideas behind the film ‘Avatar’ come directly from Vedic literature, philosophy and language. Any particular sage in any particular era of human life can be thought of as an ‘avatar’ of Krishna or ATI, that is to say a constitutional expression —as much as can be expressed in impermanent terms— of some suitable subset of the infinite and irreproachable qualities of All That Is, expressed as an actual personhood —in the flesh, as it were.

Ongoing at the heart of all of us is the highest possible expansion of possibilities about whatever means the most to us in any particular moment. Chanting allows our innate awareness of this inner gracefulness and perpetual fulfillment to unleash itself in both transcendental and mundane perceptions.

This is chanting! We only needed a way to focus our concentration on these transcendental aspects of ourselves, for all of these innate inner and outer glories to become apparent to us in our everyday perceptions.

Return to “Anything else!”